“I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.” Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Friday, February 08, 2008

Somewhere over the rainbow





We almost found that pot of gold! This was taken last weekend as we returned from Murawai Beach and entered Kumeu. This rainbow extended into a full arch. It was about 7 pm, and the sun was beaming on this raincloud. Here's some puppy photos from the beach. They are 5 weeks old.





I forgot to mention in my last post that I attended the memorial for Sir Edmond Hillary. A large screen was set up in the Auckland Domain to show live feed from the funeral in the afternoon. He was an amazing man, to hear his children, grandchildren, and friends talk. He is New Zealand's most famous citizen, and I wish there were more people like him. According to his son, Peter, it didn't matter if you were good at something, the most important thing was that you tried. He is on the NZ $5 bill.






I finished reading The Epicure's Lament, the first fiction I've read in awhile. I enjoyed it, but in the end, I was glad I'd borrowed it from the library and not bought it. It's about a man who's a nicotine addict, and supposedly an epicure, but it really has very little to do with food, and a lot to do with death and pain. I'm now reading What is the What, which is really pulling me in. This is a fictionalized biography, and it's very compelling. Reading a book like this makes you appreciate what you have. It also reminds me how horrible people can be. Similarly, No Country For Old Men follows this same thesis. I love the Cohen brothers' films, especially Fargo, Hudsucker Proxy, and O Brother Where Art Thou?
Darin finished his sailing course and had a great time. He's keen to continue on to his Day Skipper certification.