“I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.” Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

New Zealand International Film Festival 2009


This year, I volunteered as an usher for the annual NZ Film Festival. By doing this, I was able to get free tickets to movies I wanted to see. I ushered mostly at the Queen Street Sky City Cinema and some at the Academy Cinema. They are both in central Auckland. The first film I ushered for was the most challenging: Animation for Kids. There was popcorn and trash everywhere, and we had to clean up quickly before the next film. In total, I ushered 13 films. Here they are, in order of BEST to WORST:
Best Worst Movie (documentary about Troll 2)
Homegrown: Drama On Video
Four Nights With Anna
Louise Bourgeois
Rough Aunties
Homegrown: Animation
Tangata Whenua 3: The Carving Cries
Goodbye Solo
Waiting for Sancho
Birdsong
Our Beloved Month of August

The last 6 films I dozed off and on while the film played. I was basically working two jobs for two weeks, so I was tired. The films I chose to see follow, from BEST to WORST:
Coraline (3D)
Sin Nombre Gritty and compelling, slap you in the face brutality.
Thirst Unusual vampire film.
Embodiment of Evil ("Coffin Joe", much mirthful laughter, and lame dialogue)
Antichrist Starts slow, but has some OH MY GOD! scenes- crazy.
The Cove really good but I have mixed feelings about this one. controversial.
Van Dieman's Land A sympathetic portrayal of Alexander Pierce's band of cannibalism victims.
Samson and Delilah This movie was like getting punched. I had such a headache afterwards. Still, it was amazing, really eye opening.

Louise-Michel
Mock Up On Mu This was fun but strange.