“I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.” Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Important movie review


This movie is hysterical. I haven't laughed so hard since I saw Black Sheep. There is nothing like this. An instant classic. Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Zombie ("violent" movie trailer- obviously fake violence ala Troma films). Here is the website for the movie.


Just for the record, to prove I'm not totally depraved and morally bankrupt, I saw two of the International Human Rights Film Festival documentaries. Fighting the Silence, about the stigma, frequency, and silence about rape in the Congo, and Maquilapolis, about the giant factories that exploited the cheap labor and non-existant environmental regulations in Tijuana, Mexico. Actually both films featured strong women who were not putting up with the status quo and were fighting to raise awareness.


Today I watched Traffic, about the drug war in Mexico and the US, which I'd seen before but wanted to see it again. I also saw Notes on a Scandal, which was very well done by the main actresses. I had never seen The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly before, so when that came on, I had to watch it, at least just for the music. I'm not a big western fan, but it was entertaining. Slow, but good. It features a young Clint Eastwood. Wow it was made in 1966!
Also recently we finally saw An Inconvenient Truth. It was good, I liked how he made scientific results understandable to the general public. Still, I liked The Planet better, simply because it seemed to have a wider scope of the problem. That is, it focused on more than just global warming. Even if you think global warming is hogwash, when you see The Planet you realize that changing your lightbulbs to compact fluorescents is really a laughable exercise. We're all doomed, I say. Stockpile guns, canned food, and water, because this world is overpopulated. Oh well, easier to look the other way. Who cares about the toxic electronic waste poisoning the Africans? Lets watch another movie.