“I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.” Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kiwi entertainment summary, June 2008

Last Friday I took the day off work and went with Darin to Field days, the largest agricultural show in the southern hemisphere. There were tractor races, a Rural Bachelor of the Year competition, and a special exibit on tuberculosis, carried by possums and spread easily to cattle and deer (farmed in NZ). I wanted to see the castration tool in action, and had a great idea that I should ask for a volunteer to demonstrate. Heh heh. I make myself laugh. We looked at options for getting some storage on our land, and these shipping containers might be the answer. There are plenty of options to consider. There were good deals to be had at Field Days, so we bought an electronic dog training collar (tri-tronics), a small generator (Honda), a possum fur and wool blend hat and scarf (gift for my niece so she can stay warm when she goes to the South Island of NZ), a curved knife with handles on either end for cutting pumpkins and squash, and a new scarf for myself.
Stephanie and I took the dogs to Karekare beach for a hike. The falls are a short walk from the parking area and it looks like a great swimming hole in summertime.
The NZ All Blacks played England at the Mount Eden stadium and tickets were all sold. We had a great time watching the All Blacks dominate England. England scored a few times because of this great player, Topsy Ojo-this man can run!
We got to see the Haka performed- so awesome!